Columbian Exposition - Transportation Building

Back to Map

Columbian Exposition - Transportation Building

During the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition, the Transportation Building was located here.  Chicago architecture firm Adler & Sullivan designed the building, which cost $300,000 to build, according to the exposition's official catalogue.  An elaborately decorated golden arch surrounded the main entrance, and the interior design resembled a Roman basilica. Planners divided the exhibits into three parts: railway, marine, and vehicle.  At 960 feet long and 250 wide, it resembled a very long hallway.  Inside there were exhibits from countries such as England, France, Japan, Canada, Russia, Austria, and Turkey.  The Baltimore & Ohio Railway Company hosted "The Railways Of The World" exhibit in the large annex, which was directly behind the main building.  In one exhibition space, there was "a vast collection of American cars, locomotives and railway appliances of every possible description."  Visitors could access the gallery in the main building via six staircases and five elevators.  There was also a rooftop promenade and cafe available for 10 cents.  Louis Sullivan designed the building to stand in stark contrast to the rest of the fair's classical architecture.

Neighborhood: 
Category: 
Columbian Exposition
Send to Friend Share
Source: 
Official World's Columbian Exposition Catalogue