History in Ashburn
Vito and Nick's Pizzeria
Vito and Mary Barraco, natives of Sicily, opened a small tavern near downtown Chicago in 1923. Nine years later, they opened “Vito’s Tavern” at 80th and Halsted. In 1939, they moved the tavern to 79th and Carpenter, this time adding table service and a menu of Italian-style sandwiches. After their son, Nick, returned from the army at the end of the Second World War, they added cracker-thin pizza and a richer variety of home-cooked meals.