August 11, 2020
Thank you for visiting Domu.com (the “Website”), operated by Domu, LLC (“Domu,” “Us”, or “We”). We appreciate that you trust us as a partner in your search for a new place to call home, if you are renter, or in your search for a tenant, if you are a landlord. We value your privacy. Please read this Privacy Statement to understand the types of information we may collect from you or that you may provide the Website and our practices for collecting, using, maintaining, protecting, and disclosing that information, and your rights over that information and your ability to selectively opt out.
This Privacy Statement applies to information we collect:
- On this Website.
- In email, text, and other electronic messages between you and this Website.
- When you interact with our advertising and applications on third-party websites and services, if those applications or advertising include links to this Privacy Statement.
This Privacy Statement does not apply to information collected by:
- Us offline or through any other means, including on any other website operated by Domu or any third party (including our affiliates and subsidiaries); or
- Any third party (including our affiliates and subsidiaries), including through any application or content (including advertising) that may link to or be accessible from the Website.
Please read this Privacy Statement carefully to understand our policies and practices regarding your information and how we will treat it. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE WITH OUR POLICIES AND PRACTICES, YOUR CHOICE IS NOT TO USE OUR WEBSITE. YOU CONSENT TO THE INFORMATION COLLECTION, USAGE, DISCLOSURE, AND STORAGE PRACTICED DESCRIBED IN THIS PRIVACY STATEMENT WHEN YOU USE THE WEBSITE.
This Privacy Statement may change from time to time (see Changes to Our Privacy Statement). Your continued use of this Website after we make changes is deemed to be acceptance of those changes, so please check the Privacy Statement periodically for updates.
What Information Does Domu Collect From Its Users?
We collect several types of information from and about users of our Website, including Personal Information. “Personal Information” refers to information that identifies, relates to, describes, is capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular individual or device. When you use, navigate, and/or complete forms on the Website, we may collect Personal Information about you. The categories and types of Personal Information we may collect include:
- Name, phone number, email address, postal address, IP address.
- Browsing history, search history, information on an individual’s interactions with the Site.
- Bank account number, payment card number, credit card number, debit card number, or any other financial information.
- Demographic information (such as age or gender or income or other similar information).
- Information about your interests and preferences, such as move-in dates, favorites, rental budget, and preferred neighborhoods.
- Location information, such as when you use Domu’s mobile site, you have the option to disclose your location to Domu. Domu collects this information only after you give explicit permission for Domu to do so.
- Property information, including address, and photographs.
Personal Information does not include: publicly available information from government records; deidentified or aggregate information; or certain Personal Information protected by other sector-specific federal or state statutes.
How Does Domu Collect Information?
Information You Provide to Us
The information we collect on or through our Website may include:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms on our Website. This includes information provided at the time of registering to use portions of our Website, subscribing to our service, requesting further services, or contacting us. We may also ask you for information when you report a problem with our Website.
- Records and copies of your correspondence (including email addresses), if you contact us.
- Details of transactions you carry out through our Website, when you:
- Save your searches, you must share your e-mail address and create a password;
- Want to contact a landlord about a listing, you must share your e-mail address;
- Want to send a listing to a friend, you must share your e-mail address as well as your friend’s;
- Want to post an apartment for rent, you must share an e-mail address, create a password, and provide a valid credit card number with name and billing address;
- Perform searches for listings on our website;
- Social network data. If you log on to our Website using your social media account (e.g. Facebook, or Instagram), we may receive information about your social media profile that you have authorized the social network to share with us as part of your sign-on to our Website. We may also collect information when you interact with any content we make available on social media – such as by “liking” our content or posting a response to our posts – we may be able to access information that the social media network makes publicly available in connection with that interaction.
You also may provide information to be published or displayed (hereinafter, “posted”) on public areas of the Website, or transmitted to other users of the Website or third parties (collectively, “User Contributions”). Your User Contributions are posted on and transmitted to others at your own risk. Although we limit access to certain pages, please be aware that no security measures are perfect or impenetrable. Additionally, we cannot control the actions of other users of the Website with whom you may choose to share your User Contributions. Therefore, we cannot and do not guarantee that your User Contributions will not be viewed by unauthorized persons.
Information We Collect Through Automatic Data Collection Technologies
As you navigate through and interact with our Website, we may use automatic data collection technologies to collect certain information about your equipment, browsing actions, and patterns, including:
- Details of your visits to our Website, including traffic data, location data, logs, and other communication data and the resources that you access and use on the Website.
- Information about your computer and internet connection, including your IP address, operating system, and browser type.
We also may use technologies to collect information about your online activities over time and across third-party websites or other online services (behavioral tracking).
The information we collect through data collection technologies may include Personal Information, but we may maintain it or associate it with Personal Information we collect in other ways or receive from third parties. It helps us to improve our Website and to deliver a better and more personalized service, including by enabling us to:
- Estimate our audience size and usage patterns.
- Store information about your preferences, allowing us to customize our Website according to your individual interests.
- Speed up your searches.
- Recognize you when you return to our Website.
We do not control these third parties’ tracking technologies or how they may be used. If you have any questions about an advertisement or other targeted content, you should contact the responsible provider directly. For information about how you can opt out of receiving targeted advertising from many providers, see below.
The technologies we use include:
Pages of our the Website and our e-mails may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs, pixel tags, and single-pixel gifs) that permit Domu, for example, to count users who have visited those pages or opened an email and for other related website statistics.
Domu uses Facebook Pixel technology to measure, optimize and build audiences for advertising campaigns served on Facebook. It allows Domu to see how our visitors move between devices when accessing the Website and Facebook, and to ensure that Domu’s Facebook advertising are seen by users most interested in such advertising.
You can view your Facebook ads settings and update your preferences at any time
Google has created an “Opt-out Browser Add-on” for users who wish to use websites while preventing their data from being accessed or used by Google Analytics. If you want to opt out of the features on Domu.com that rely on Google Analytics, please follow the directions provided by Google here: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/features
Domu uses Google’s “remarketing” service to advertise Domu on the Internet. Google’s remarketing service allows Domu to show users advertisements that are specifically tailored to them based on their prior usage of Domu. For example, if a user searches on Domu for two-bedroom apartments in Lincoln Square, Domu’s remarketing campaign might cause that user to see an advertisement on a third party website for a Domu listing of a two-bedroom apartment in Lincoln Square. These advertisements might appear on a Google search result page, or on a site in the Google Display network.
The remarketing service relies on cookies placed on your computer or mobile device. The cookie does not identify you or give access to your device, nor does it collect any personally identifiable information such as an e-mail address, name, or any credit card information. The cookie simply identifies which types of listings or services interested you in the past, so that Domu may show you advertisements about those listings or services in the future. Domu utilizes this type of marketing in order to show you only the advertisements that are relevant to you.
You may opt-out of Google’s remarketing services by visiting https://privacy.google.com.
You may also opt out of Interest-Based Advertising by visiting http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/.
How Does Domu Use The Information It Collects?
We use information that we collect about you or that you provide to us, including any Personal Information:
- To present our Website and its contents to you.
- To provide you with information, products, or services that you request from us.
- To fulfill any other purpose for which you provide it.
- To provide you with notices about your account.
- To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us, including for billing and collection.
- To notify you about changes to our Website or any products or services we offer or provide through it.
- When you save a search, Domu will periodically alert you to newly-listed Chicago apartments matching your search criteria, although you have the option to set preferences on how often you would like to be notified of new search results, including the preference not to be contacted at all.
- When you activate a listing for a Chicago apartment, Domu will confirm the receipt of your credit card payment and may later alert you when your listing is about to expire or remind you of your ability to renew it.
- In any other way we may describe when you provide the information.
- For any other purpose with your consent.
We may also use your information to contact you about our own and third-parties’ goods and services that may be of interest to you. We may use the information we have collected from you to enable us to display advertisements to our advertisers’ target audiences. Even though we do not disclose your Personal Information for these purposes without your consent, if you click on or otherwise interact with an advertisement, the advertiser may assume that you meet its target criteria.
For any marketing email communications from Domu, we will provide you the opportunity to opt out of future communications.
Does Domu Share The Information It Receives?
Domu does not sell your email address or other information to third parties.
We may disclose aggregated information about our users, and information that does not identify any individual, without restriction.
We may disclose Personal Information that we collect or you provide as described in this Privacy Statement:
- To our subsidiaries and affiliates.
- To contractors, service providers, and other third parties we use to support our business, including our payment processor.
- To a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of Domu’s assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which Personal Information held by Domu about our Website users is among the assets transferred.
- To third parties to market their products or services to you if you have not opted out of these disclosures.
- To fulfill the purpose for which you provide it. For example, if you give us an email address to use the “email a friend” feature of our Website, we will transmit the contents of that email and your email address to the recipients. Or, for example, if you use a Domu web form to share a listing with a friend or to contact a landlord, any information you place in the web form will be visible to that friend or landlord.
- For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information.
- With your consent.
We may also disclose your Personal Information:
- To comply with any court order, law, or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request.
- To respond to claims that any user-generated content violates the rights of third parties.
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of Domu, our customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for the purposes of fraud protection.
Payment Card Information
Any information that you supply in the course of a credit card transaction is transmitted to our payment processor, Chase Merchant Services, through its orbital payment gateway using Secure Socket Layer technology. Chase Merchant Services is subject to the detailed rules and regulations of the various credit and debit card organizations and networks relating to the security and safeguarding of cardholder data, including the payment card industry data security standards (PCI DSS). Credit card numbers are not stored with Domu, although Domu maintains the name and address associated with the credit card, as well as the transaction amount and transaction identification number. Domu may access credit card numbers through the Orbital payment gateway, but those numbers remain with Chase Merchant Services.
Choices About How We Use And Disclose Your Information
We strive to provide you with choices regarding the Personal Information you provide to us. We have created mechanisms to provide you with the following control over your information:
- Tracking Technologies and Advertising. You can set your browser to refuse all or some browser cookies, or to alert you when cookies are being sent. To learn how you can manage cookies see the section above (HTTP Cookies and Flash Cookies).
- Promotional Offers from Domu. If you do not wish to have your email address/contact information used by Domu to promote our own products or services, you can opt-out by using the UNSUBSCRIBE feature in the email you receive from DOMU, which will remove you from future email distributions. This opt out does not apply to information provided to Domu as a result of a purchase, or activity on the Website.
We do not control third parties’ collection or use of your information to serve interest-based advertising. However these third parties may provide you with ways to choose not to have your information collected or used in this way.
Updating Your Information
If you are a user who has a registered account on the Website, you can review and change some of your Personal Information by logging into the Website and visiting your account details page, or contacting us at the information below.
We have implemented measures designed to secure your Personal Information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration, and disclosure, including the use of firewall and encryption technologies.
The safety and security of your information also depends on you. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password for access to certain parts of our Website, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. We cannot guarantee the security of your Personal Information transmitted to our Website. Any transmission of Personal Information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Website.
Changes To Our Privacy Statement
It is our policy to post any changes we make to our Privacy Statement on this page. If we make material changes to how we treat our users’ Personal Information, we will notify you by email to the email address specified in your account and/or through a notice on the Website home page. The date the Privacy Statement was last revised is identified at the top of the page. You are responsible for ensuring we have an up-to-date active and deliverable email address for you, and for periodically visiting our Website and this Privacy Statement to check for any changes.
For any inquiries, or to ask questions or comment about this Privacy Statement and our privacy practices, contact us at: