History in Morgan Park

1744 West Pryor Avenue

Morgan Park High School

Home of the Mustangs and Lady Mustangs, Morgan Park High School opened at its current site in 1916 at 1744 West Pryor Avenue.  In 1925, an addition to the school included a gymnasium, auditorium, and swimming pool.  An addition in 1983 provided the school with a football field, tennis courts, a track, soccer and baseball fields, and faculty parking.  Today the school's enrollment is approximately 1,600.  

Read more

History in Morgan Park
National Landmarks

11118 south artesian avenue

Iglehart House

Built in 1857, this house is an italianate style house and one of the city's oldest surviving buildings.  It was originally constructed as a farmhouse for Charles D. Iglehart, whose farmland was the area now bordered by 111th, 115th, and Rockwell streets and Western Avenue.  Back then, this area was known as "horse-thief hollow," a places supposed to have been a refuge for horse thieves.  The house was designated as a landmark on July 13, 1994.

History in Morgan Park

11400 South Fairfield Avenue

Residence of Convicted Car Bomber James Blottiaux

On June 14, 1965, George Jayne, owner of Tri Color Stables in Palatine, asked Cheryl Lynn Rude, one of his world champion riders, to move his Cadillac so some of the farmhands could finish painting a barn.  Rude started the ignition, and a bomb detonated underneath the hood.  She was killed at the age of 22, and for more than three decades her murder remained unsolved.

Read more