History in Avalon Park
Chicago Vocational Career Academy
Chicago Vocational Career Academy, or CVS, opened as Chicago Vocational School in 1940 at 2100 East 87th Street, with an all-male class of 850. In June of 1941, the school was turned over to the United States Navy, as the country's entry into the Second World War was imminent. Mechanics who would build and repair aircraft received training here, while non-vocational courses were moved to Calumet High School.