History in East Village
Oh Henry Candy Bar
In 1920, the fledgling Williamson Candy Company introduced a new confection known as the Oh Henry candy bar. By 1923, the Oh Henry was the best-selling treat in the country. Headquartered here at 1038 North Ashland Avenue, the Williamson Candy Company was producing a half a million Oh Henry bars every nine hours.