History in North Center
Vintage Restaurants

1942 West Irving Park Ave

Orange Garden

Orange Garden, at 1942 West Irving Park Avenue in North Center, is the oldest Chinese restaurant in Chicago.  It opened for business in 1924, making it nearly a quarter of a century older than the People's Republic of China.  It didn't adopt the name "Orange Garden," however, until 1932. The sign that hangs outside is the oldest neon light in the city.  The clock that hangs inside has been on the wall since 1932.  

Read more

History in North Center
Alumni

2501 West Addison Street

Lane Tech High School

Lane Tech (formally known as Albert G. Lane Technical College Preparatory High School) is a public, four-year magnet high school that was founded in 1908 by Albert Grannis Lane at 2501 West Addison Street, its former principal and superintendent. 

Read more