History in Old Irving Park
Alumni

3601 North Milwaukee Avenue

Carl Schurz High School

Home of the Bulldogs, this high school at 3601 North Milwaukee Avenue was named for German-American soldier Carl Schurz, who advocated democracy in Germany.  The school opened in 1910, and its motto, "a block long and a world wide," reflects the school's diversity.  The school is considered  one of "150 great places in Illinois," according to the American Institute of Architects.  Here's a selection of its prestigious alumni:

Read more

History in Old Irving Park
National Landmarks

3926 north keeler avenue

Charles N. Loucks House

This house is "one of the finest and most unusual queen anne-style houses in Irving Park," according to the city of Chicago's landmark designation report.  It was built in 1889 by architect Clarence Tabor for Charles N. Loucks, a real estate developer.  The house's most distinctive feature is its 2-1/2-story turret with numerous art-glass windows and an elliptical roof, according to the report. 

Read more

History in Old Irving Park
Notorious

3966 North Avondale Avenue

Richard Speck Residence

Richard Speck raped and murdered his way into Chicago (and world) history on the evening of July 13, 1966, when he strangled eight student nurses at a townhouse in Jeffrey Manor.  A ninth nurse managed to wiggle underneath a bed and evade detection.  Speck had served time in Dallas for forgery, then again for aggravated sexual assault, and was wanted on a burglary charge when he finally decided to skip town in March of 1966. 

Read more

Pages