History in West Loop
National Landmarks

1304 west washington boulevard

Groesbeck House

Otis L. Weelock built this house in 1869 for Abraham Groesbeck.  "this Italianate-style building is one of few buildings to survive the Chicago fire," according to the city of chicago's official tourism website.  "It started as the home and office of physician Abraham Groesbeck, but has also been home to the Cranes, Glessners, Harrisons, and Mary Todd Lincoln."  The Groesbeck House was designated a landmark on January 12, 1993. 

1500 west jackson boulevard

Jackson Boulevard District and Extension

This historic district near the border of the west loop and united center park was originally designated as a landmark on november 15, 1976.  The area was extended on july 30, 1997.   the homes in this district were built between 1879 and 1893 by various architects.  

History in West Loop

110 North Carpenter Street

S.S. Eastland Morgue

After the S.S. Eastland Disaster on July 24, 1915, when 844 people drowned in the Chicago River, officials transported many of the bodies to a building at 110 North Carpenter Street, which then functioned as Chicago's Second Regiment Armory.  The armory was used as a temporary morgue for the bodies.  The armory was ultimately torn down and later became Harpo Studios, site of The Oprah Winfrey Show.