History in Back of the Yards
Alumni

4747 South Union Avenue

Tilden Career Academy High School

Built in 1905, Edward Tilden Career Community Academy at 4747 South Union Avenue became a Chicago public school in 1915.  It was named for Edward Tilden, who was a former banker and president of the Chicago Board of Education.  Tilden was an all-male technical school until it became co-ed in the 1960s.  

Read more

History in Back of the Yards
Sports

West Side of Halsted Street between 42nd and 47th Streets

Dexter Park

Dexter Park was the original home of the Chicago White Stockings (the precursors of today’s Chicago Cubs) at West Side of Halsted Street between 42nd and 47th Streets. The White Stockings played there for a single season in 1870 before joining the National Association Of Professional Base Ball Players and moving north to the Union Base-Ball Grounds.  Dexter Park subsequently served as a horse-racing track until it was destroyed by fire in 1934.

Read more

History in Back of the Yards
Tragedies

4300 block of South Loomis

1910 Chicago Stockyards Fire

The biggest loss of firefighter life in American history before September 11 occurred at Warehouse 7 of the Nelson-Morris & Company meatpacking plant on the 4300 block of South Loomis at the Chicago Union Stockyards.  The fire began sometime around 4:00 a.m. on December 22, 1910, in the basement of a six-story cold storage warehouse after an ammonia pipe exploded. 

Read more
Southeastern corner of 43rd Street and Morgan Street

The Union Stockyards Fire Of 1934

It was unseasonably hot -- thermometers registered 92-degree heat -- and there hadn't been much rain the entire year, so the conditions for a major conflagration were ripe.  Shortly before 4:30 p.m. on Saturday, May 19, 1934, a passing motorist flicked away a smoldering cigarette butt, igniting the hay in a cattle pen on the southeastern corner of 43rd and Morgan Streets in the heart of the union stockyards.  

Read more

Pages