History in South Loop
Sports

Area bounded by Michigan Avenue on the west, Randolph Street on the north, and Washington Street on the south

Lake-Shore Park

Lake-Shore Park (or Lake Park) was the home of the Chicago White Stockings (now the Chicago Cubs) from 1878 through 1884, when the team moved to (the first) West Side Park.  Lake-Shore Park was located on the same site as the former Union Base-Ball Grounds (Area bounded by Michigan Avenue on the west, Randolph Street on the north, and Washington Street on the south), which were destroyed in the Chicago Fire.  Since 1901, the area has been known as Grant Park. 

Read more
1930 South Archer Avenue

Perspectives Charter School

On the evening of Monday, April 2, 2012, Anthony Davis, a graduate of the Perspectives Charter School at 1930 South Archer Avenue, indelibly etched his name into the national sports consciousness by leading his Kentucky Wildcats to an NCAA basketball championship and being named the “Most Outstanding Player” of the tournament.  His rise to stardom was one of the most remarkable sports stories of the decade.  

Read more
Between Cermak Road and 23rd Street, bounded by State and Federal Streets

The 23rd Street Grounds

The 23rd Street Grounds was the baseball park at which the Chicago White Stockings (the precursors of today’s Chicago Cubs) played their home games from 1874 through 1877.  The first two seasons they played in the National Association, and the second two seasons they played in the National League.  The field was located between 22nd Street (now Cermak Road) and 23rd Street and between State Street and what is now Federal Street.

1513 South Wabash Avenue

The World's First Roller Derby

Promoter Leo Seltzer introduced the world's first Roller Derby at the old Chicago Coliseum on August 13, 1935.  More than 20,000 people attended the event, which was dubbed the "Transcontinental Roller Derby" at 1513 South Wabash Avenue.

History in South Loop
Tragedies

2347 South Michigan Avenue

E2 Nightclub

Overzealous security guards used pepper spray to break up a fight, causing a panic in which 21 patrons were stampeded to death and 50 more injured on February 17, 2003.  Once people smelled the pepper spray and were unaware of its source, they began running to the exits.  The exit doors opened inward and, as people rushed out, those climbing the stairs were pinned and crushed.

Read more

History in South Loop
Trivia

2120 South Michigan Avenue

Chess Records - Second Location

Founded in 1950 by brothers Leonard and Phil Chess, Chess Records was the preeminent blues label in the 1950's and 60's.  It also released R&B, gospel, rock 'n' roll, and jazz records.  It was here, at 2120 South Michigan Avenue, that the Rolling Stones famously recorded an instrumental titled "2010 South Michigan Avenue" during their first U.S. tour in 1964.  

Read more
1513 South Wabash Avenue

First Ward Ball at Chicago Coliseum

First Ward Aldermen Michael "Hinky Dink" Kenna and "Bathhouse" John Coughlin collected more than $50,000 each year at a rowdy fundraising event held here at 1513 South Wabash Avenue, the former site of the Chicago Coliseum. Thousands of people attended what was the city's biggest party, including prostitutes, gangsters, politicians, businessmen, and gamblers.

Read more
1101 South State Street

Mickey Finn - Chicago's First "Roofie"

A "Mickey Finn" was an early 20th century "roofie" named after the man who ran the Lone Star Saloon and Palm Garden Restaurant from 1896 to 1903 on what is now the southeast corner of South State and 11th Streets in the South Loop (and what was then known as "Whiskey Row").  Finn's house girls spiked unsuspecting bargoers' drinks with an incapacitating drug, took them to a back room or an alley, and robbed them.  

Read more

Pages