Apartments in Chicago are making it easier than ever for pet owners to balance their pet’s quality of life with finding an apartment that fits their lifestyle. More and more, Chicago apartments are built with the needs of pet owners in mind. Some popular amenities in Chicago apartments include dog runs on the property, pet grooming stations, or partnerships and discounts with local dog-walking services. Here are some of the outstanding examples of pet-friendly amenities in Chicago apartments.
Best Dog Run on the Apartment Property
The River North neighborhood is known primarily for its rollicking nightlife scene. But apartment renters who spend most of their free time in this neighborhood immediately north of Chicago's downtown business district know it as a tony enclave for luxury apartments and upscale townhomes. There are even a couple of scenic parks nestled along the banks of the Chicago River. And the views are some of the best around town. Renters at this River North apartment building can combine the best of both worlds on the outdoor dog run, which is situated on an elevated deck that’s above street level. Convenience and class are even part of the experience for dogs at The Hudson.
Best Pet Grooming Area or “Pet Spa”
The interesting thing about the growth of pet-friendly apartment buildings in Chicago is how properties are outdoing one another with considerations for renters who have a 4-legged best friend living with them in their apartment. It isn't enough to simply allow dogs in the building; apartments are coming up with ever more enticing perks to lure in renters who want a seamless rental experience for their pets as well. Lincoln Common is a prime example of this with its swanky pet spa that rivals the design and high end finishes of the luxury building’s actual apartments. This new Lincoln Park apartment community is spread across two buildings, a north tower and a south tower, with matching amenities in each building. Hopefully there won’t be a long waitlist for renters to visit either one of the pet spas, but the designers thought ahead with the inclusion of a very comfy lounge just in case there’s a line of canines waiting to get washed.
Best Location for Dog Owners
Eight Eleven Uptown
When it comes to dog-friendly parks in Chicago, the Uptown neighborhood is unusually well stocked. There might be a case for changing the neighborhood's nickname to “Puptown.” Renters and their pups living at this pet-friendly apartment building can visit any one of the four dog parks within walking distance, including the north side’s most popular dog beach (see below for a full list of dog-friendly parks in Chicago). There are miles and miles of parks just across Lake Shore Drive from the upscale apartments at Eight Eleven Uptown if one of the officially designated dog-friendly areas is too much of a hike.
Best Puppy Party
Fulton Market is undergoing a building boom and dog owners haven’t been overlooked as the neighborhood’s renaissance marches on. Dogs residing at Echelon Chicago get a special treat at the end of summer with the annual Doggie Dip. Building managers open up the swimming pool to residents and their dogs for one last tail-wagging hurrah before it shuts down for the season.
Finding Dog Friendly Apartments in Chicago
The Chicago Park District has nearly two dozen designated Dog Friendly Areas in Chicago parks or beaches where dogs can run and play off the leash. Dog owners may want to begin their search for a place near these dog friendly areas. Chicago has “urbs in horto” as its official city motto, which is Latin for “city in a garden.” With all the lush greenery and park space in Chicago, dogs can get out there and stretch their legs with the rest of the city's inhabitants.
Below is a list of the Chicago Park District’s Dog Friendly Areas throughout the city’s neighborhoods:
- Anderson (Fred) Dog Friendly Area | 1611 S Wabash Ave, Chicago, IL 60601
- Bartelme (Mary) Dog Friendly Area | 115 S Sangamon, Chicago, IL 60607
- Belmont Harbor Beach Dog Friendly Area | Belmont & Lake Shore Drive, Chicago, IL 60614
- Bryn Mawr Dog Friendly Area | Bryn Mawr & Lake Shore Drive, Chicago, IL 60614
- Challenger Dog Friendly Area | 1100 W Irving Park Rd, Chicago, IL 60613
- Churchill Dog Friendly Area | 1825 N Damen Ave, Chicago, IL 60614
- Clarendon Dog Friendly Area | 4501 N Marine Dr, Chicago, IL 60640
- Coliseum Dog Friendly Area | 1466 S Wabash Ave, Chicago, IL 60605
- Grant Dog Friendly Area | 951 S Columbus Dr, Chicago, IL 60601
- Hamlin Dog Friendly Area | 3035 N Hoyne Ave, Chicago, IL 60618
- Lake Shore East Dog Friendly Area | 450 E Benton Pl, Chicago, IL 60601
- Montrose Beach Dog Friendly Area | 601 W Montrose Ave, Chicago, IL 60613
- Noethling Playlot Dog Friendly Area | 2645 N Sheffield Ave, Chicago, IL 60614
- Norwood Dog Friendly Area | 5899 N Avondale, Chicago, IL 60631
- Park No. 551 Dog Friendly Area | 353 N Des Plaines St, Chicago, IL 60611
- Park No. 556 Dog Friendly Area | 2529 W Logan Blvd, Chicago, IL 60647
- Park No. 569 Dog Friendly Area | 1358 W Monroe, Chicago, IL 60607
- Portage Dog Friendly Area | 4100 N Long, Chicago, IL 60641
- Pottawattomie Dog Friendly Area | 7340 N Rogers Ave, Chicago, IL 60626
- Puptown | 4900 N Marine Dr, Chicago, IL 60640
- River Dog Friendly Area | 5100 N Francisco Ave, Chicago, IL 60625
- Walsh Dog Friendly Area | 1722 N Ashland Ave, Chicago, IL 60614
- Ward Dog Friendly Area | 630 N Kingsbury St, Chicago, IL 60606
- Wicker Dog Friendly Area | 1425 N Damen Ave, Chicago, IL 60622